Super Easy Sauted Summer Squash
This simple summer squash sauté is a great way to enjoy fresh summer squash. Feel free to use either yellow summer squash or zucchini in this easy recipe. This is a wonderful and easy side dish to serve with a grilled steak or chicken meal, along with rice, baked potato, or another side vegetable.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 small summer squash or 2 to 3 medium
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 3 or 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- about a dozen medium basil leaves, cut chiffonade*
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
*To cut chiffonade, stack the leaves, roll up tightly, and slice thinly.Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat . Saute the sliced summer squash, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth to the skillet and continue cooking and stirring for a few minutes longer, until almost tender. Add the garlic and green onions and continue cooking and stirring until tender but still a bit firm. Stir in the basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
Zucchini and Summer Squash Casserole
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 3 small zucchini, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 3 small summer squash, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
- 4 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 350°.Wash the squash, trim ends, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Put squash pieces in a greased 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine the chicken broth with the garlic and pour over the squash. Dot with butter then sprinkle with the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes longer, until browned and tender.
Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared mini-loaf pans.
- Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.